Jay Obernolte

Jay Obernolte

We are all united in the belief that Congress should respond quickly to the COVID-19 crisis and get our country back on its feet. Unfortunately, the $1.9 trillion spending bill passed by the House of Representatives in the early hours of Saturday morning will have the effect of hurting the very people we are trying to help.

This is one of the largest spending packages in the history of Congress at $1.9 trillion, but only 9 percent will go toward fighting the coronavirus. The other 91 percent of spending is appropriated for relief and stimulus at a rate that economists say puts our economy in serious danger of overheating. Additionally, it will bring the total amount of spending for coronavirus relief and recovery to nearly $6 trillion since March 2020 - over $17,000 per American. However, nearly $1 trillion previously allocated for COVID-19 relief remains unspent - that’s 1 in every 4 dollars allocated.

Most of the funding for education included in the bill does not take effect for more than three years. Additionally, the bill further prioritizes large cities over communities like ours in CA-08, especially in rural areas where people are living near the poverty line.

There was bipartisan opposition to this bill, and I think it is clear why: Americans want targeted relief that will reopen our schools, speed up vaccinations for those who want it, help families in need, and support our small businesses, not pork barrel spending that will drive up our national debt without solving the immediate needs before us.

(3) comments

Guthrie

There was not bipartisan to the bill Republicans are the only ones that opposized it

Guthrie

2017 1.9 trillion went to the 5 percent of billionaires

Guthrie

Jay Obernilte doesn't want to help .He voted against all help for the 1.9 trillion all talk no action He had no problem voting for 1.9 trillion for 5 percent to the billionaires

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.