Bridge widening activities are underway at numerous locations throughout the project area, including Fifth Street, Pioneer Avenue, Victoria Avenue, Base Line Interchange and Highland Avenue. Crews are working on the bridge widening at Base Line and Highland Avenue, where crews will work during daytime and nighttime hours.
At the Base Line interchange, bridge work is approximately 80 percent complete and night work will allow crews to continue work on the widening activity at that location, as well as continue work on nearby retaining walls. At Highland Avenue and Arden Avenue, construction activity includes ongoing excavation for the bridge support columns, including pouring concrete for the new columns.
SR-210 lane, connector and ramp closures
Nighttime lane/ramp closures may occur intermittently along eastbound and westbound SR-210, between Del Rosa Avenue and I-10, Mondays through Fridays (into Saturday mornings), between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. Please note, no two consecutive ramps will be closed at the same time. In addition, crews will continue daytime and nighttime construction activity along SR-210 as well as on local city streets.
Nightly ramp closures are scheduled while crews widen/reconfigure the SR-210 on- and off-ramps at Base Line and perform work for the new retaining walls adjacent to the Base Line interchange. Ramps are scheduled to be closed nightly from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., Monday, Oct. 26, through Thursday, Oct. 29 (into Friday morning) and from 9:00 p.m. Friday, Oct. 30 to 7 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 31:
• Eastbound SR-210 on-ramp at Base Line - DETOUR: Motorists traveling eastbound on Base Line will turn right on Palm Avenue, then turn left on Fifth Street to access eastbound SR-210. Motorists traveling westbound on Base Line will turn left on Boulder Avenue, then right on Fifth Street/Greenspot Road, to access eastbound SR-210.
• Eastbound SR-210 off-ramp at Base Line - DETOUR: Exit eastbound SR-210 at Fifth Street and turn right at the end of the ramp, turn right on Palm Avenue/Alabama Street and continue straight to access Base Line.
• Westbound SR-210 on-ramp at Base Line - DETOUR: Motorists traveling eastbound on Base Line will turn right on Alabama Street/Palm Avenue, then left on Fifth Street to access westbound SR-210. Motorists traveling westbound on Base Line will turn right on Boulder Avenue, then right on Highland Avenue, then right on SB on-ramp to SR 330 to access westbound SR-210.
• Westbound SR-210 off-ramp at Base Line - DETOUR: Exit westbound SR-210 at Fifth Street and turn right at the end of the ramp, turn left on Boulder Avenue and continue straight to access Base Line.
Local street closures
• Highland Avenue at SR-210 - Closed between the eastbound SR-210 off-ramp and Arden Avenue, nightly from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., Monday, Oct. 26, through Wednesday, Oct. 28 (into Thursday morning). DETOUR: Motorists traveling eastbound on Highland Avenue will turn right on Sterling Avenue, left on Pacific Street, left on Arden Avenue to access Highland Avenue. Motorists traveling westbound on Highland Avenue will turn left on Arden Avenue, right on Pacific Street, right on Sterling Avenue to access Highland Avenue.
• Arden Avenue at SR-210 - Lanes will be closed on Arden Avenue at SR-210 nightly from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., Monday, Oct. 26, through Wednesday, Oct. 28 (into Thursday morning). At least one lane in each direction will remain open on Arden Avenue at SR-210 at all times.
Caltrans is performing work on a rehabilitation project along SR-210, SR 215 and SR 259. Over the next several weeks, work may include intermittent nighttime closures of lanes, ramps and shoulders along SR-210, SR 215, and SR 259. While Caltrans closures may take place adjacent to and within the SR-210 Lane Addition/Base Line Interchange project area, they are not related to the project.
For questions or more information about this work please contact Caltrans District 8 at (909) 383-4631.
About the project
The SR-210 Lane Addition and Base Line Interchange Project is designed to provide increased traffic flow throughout this corridor. To eliminate the existing bottleneck and provide lane continuity, the SR-210 will be widened from Sterling Avenue to San Bernardino Avenue in the cities of San Bernardino, Highland, and Redlands, as well as an unincorporated portion of San Bernardino County. Base Line Interchange will also be widened from Buckeye Street to Seine Avenue in the City of Highland, which will include widening three of the four interchange ramps. As the SR-210 Lane Addition and Base Line Interchange projects aligned geographically and shared similar delivery schedules, they were combined for the design, right-of-way, and construction phases to save cost and expedite the schedule. In addition, pavement rehabilitation work was added through a cooperative agreement with Caltrans that includes new concrete pavement between Fifth Street and Lugonia Avenue. Adding the pavement rehabilitation work during the Lane Addition and Base Line Interchange projects means one less project that the community will have to navigate around in the future.
Please remember all construction is dynamic and the schedule is weather-permitting and subject to change.